Friday, August 19, 2011

Here's my version of "I'm From"

I am from clothes on lines, from Sanka and sawdust.

I am from the backyard tree, a swing set, the barking dog.

I am from pine trees, camellias, asphalt, oleander, geraniums, concrete.

I am from too much food and loud talking, from Edwardos and lost children, and last names with 12 letters.

I am from the silent minority and the outspoken fighters.

From tipped uteruses, baked donuts, and just wait until you have kids of your own.

I am from First Holy Communion, CCD, mantillas, and going to confession.

I am from too much noise and not enough said, pizzelles made one at a time, and homemade pizza with canned mushrooms.

From how college only teaches you to drink and swear, the importance of having security over love, and shame passed down instead of the lesson.

I am from boxes of stuff and things tossed away, from full hope chests and houses torn down, and from memories. Lots of memories…

2 comments:

  1. I like, "too much noise and not enough said." Also, do people still drink Sanka?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lisa! I thought I had already written a comment here, but I don't see it. Looks like I don't know how to use my own blog... :)
    This cracked me up: "Also, do people still drink Sanka?" Hahahahaha! I don't think they still do, but it worked in the 'poem' for my particular family memory. :)

    ReplyDelete